Meditations in the Psalms
This psalm focuses on the identity of a “good man.” He is one who “feareth the LORD” and “delighteth greatly in His commandments.” The “fear of the Lord” is parallel to the “knowledge of the Holy One” (Proverbs 9:10). It is a knowledge that not only believes in Who God is, but responds readily to everything God commands. Hebrews 11:6 says that “without faith it is impossible to please God.” That verse goes on to remind us that when we come to God we must believe that He is, and that He rewards those who “diligently seek” Him.
- The man who fears the Lord – verse 1
- The might which he will display – verse 2
- The manner in which he will be blessed – verse 3
- The marvel of God’s character in his life – verse 4
- The methods by which he demonstrates his godly character – verse 5
A godly lifestyle supersedes all other human pursuits and it is rooted in the man who “feareth the LORD.” Never substitute worldly fame, position, or success, for the blessing of the Lord.
Verse for Meditation
Verse 5 – “A good man sheweth favour, and lendeth: he will guide his affairs with discretion.
“I delight, O Lord, in Your commandments, and I desire to live a godly lifestyle, and I need Your help and strength.”